Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mommycation

I am 2,968.37 miles from home right now.

Seriously.

I am on what I'm am dubbing a "mommycation". I still can't believe I'm here!

I am visiting my friend from college, SaraJane, who moved to New Jersey a couple of years ago. We've always talked about me coming to visit, but somehow I never really thought it would happen. But it did, and I'm here... in her living room!

We have had a 'free' plane ticket coming for a couple of years from some mileage points earned on our former credit card. Rob has encouraged me for some time to use it on a trip to visit SaraJane in New Jersey, but the timing was never quite right.

Between March and August last year we were foster parents to my two half-siblings who were born in the same years as our two kiddos. The 4 kids in our family during those six months were less than 2.5 years apart. I'll be honest, it was an exhausting 6 months. Flat exhausting.

When it appeared that the foster-care chapter of our lives was coming to a close I started to talk about finally taking that East Coast trip. Truly, I just wanted to run away and spend a few days tending to the needs of no one other than myself. I feel a slight bit of guilt admitting that, but truly, I had given so much of myself for so long that it simply is where I was at.

Unfortunately however, it wasn't a good time for our family. Leeann was just starting school and we were launching Fall ministries. Rob was in the middle of a job transition and we were just a few months away from a Disneyland trip that had been in the planning stages for more than 2 years. My huband half jokingly said that if I went in the fall I could be gone 48 hours and if I waited until the Spring he'd let me go for 10 days. 10 Days! I said I'd take the 10 days and I'm sure he began to wonder what on earth he'd just committed to!

Anyway, lo and behold, I am here. I'm on the East Coast! We have quite a lot planned for the 10 days that I'm here, but today is a down day since SaraJane had to work. I'll blog as often as I can... I don't want to forget a single detail of this awesome blessing of a trip that I've been given!

No comments: