Wednesday, August 4, 2010

10 Years

My high school reunion is 2 days away.

Once upon a time (about 10 years ago to be exact) I figured I'd strut into my class reunion with my head held high impressing people with my clout and status as some big-wig politician.

Don't laugh, it was my dream back then!

I'd be looking incredible (because honestly, who envisions themselves as anything less 10 years in the future?), dressed to impress.

I figured there was a decent chance I'd be single and childless, because I'd still be climbing the corporate ladder. I would have a list of accolades miles long that I'd be able to rattle off and impress people with, with a picture of my perfectly groomed pooch in my purse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Instead, I'm trying to find something to wear that fits well, yet nicely covers the 15 extra pounds I'm carrying with me since graduation day. I'll try to wear my hair in such a way as to hide the grey's I've earned. And because they're getting harder and harder to hide I'll be grateful for the low lights at our venue!

I will undoubtedly find myself huddling with the other mommy's who will swap kid stories while we look over our shoulders at those who are sharing their corporate success stories.

Honestly, I will probably be momentarily jealous of those single gals who have the time, money and energy to focus on their outer beauty. Those who have gym memberships (and time to use them), nail techs and hair stylists. Those who flitter away on vacations or evenings out with friends whenever the fancy strikes. I might even be momentarily jealous of the pictures they carry around of their cute dog.

But after those brief moments of jealousy have passed, I will remember this picture in my head.



These two are so much cuter than even the cutest dog!

Building into them holds such a greater value then building up my resume. I'd rather have to save 6 times as long to take a vacation with my family than to have all the money in the world at my finger tips, but have to take my trips alone. I'd rather be educating my kids about the worthwhile things in life than to be writing policies and examining legislation. I'd rather be focused on winning their hearts, minds and souls, than winning elections.

I am grateful that I have a husband to come home to. One who is steady, and stable, and who I know will be there with me through it all. A man who will continue to love me in spite of the 15 pounds I gained, and the grey hairs and wrinkles that seem to get worse each day! I love walking through daily life with him. Being single can be fun, and adventurous. Being married to my best friend is so much better!

I may not be rich, or famous or even impressive in any way shape or form. However, I'm confident that I have the better end of the stick. I have the most important job in the world. I am a wife, and a mommy. A tried and true domestic engineer! It may not be impressive to those from the outside looking in. But those of us looking from the inside out... we know better.

We are the most famous, best dressed, most successful people and important people in the world. Well, at least in the eyes of our kids. But we know that those are the only eyes that matter!

Thank you God for not giving me what I 'planned and hoped and dreamed about' as a high school Senior. Thank you for watching over me, and protecting me, and guiding me, even before I decided to follow you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to build into the eternal lives of the most precious beings in the whole world, my children. Thank you for bringing me a husband who loves you and serves you with his life. Thank you for changing my heart, my soul and my mind. Thank you for changing my perspective on life to see what's really important. You have been so good to me and my family. Deciding to follow you was the best decision I've ever made. These last 10 years have been the best years of my life. My life verse rings as true today as it ever has. "For we know God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love him and are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

Rebecca.Alburn said...

I hope it went well. Mine (Lebanon) was also this past weekend. I was shocked at how much fun I had, how many great conversations and really genuinely thrilled I was to see the people who were there. I think it helps that I'm not on Facebook -- I'm so out of the loop that there was a lot for me to ask/talk about, but yeah. Good times!!!