Thursday, December 30, 2010

Too Much Sleep

These last couple of days I've been on vacation mode. You know, where I throw all of my regular routines out the window. Where I let my kids stay in their pajamas until just before we leave the house. IF we leave the house.

Where I have the best intentions of getting all of the things done that I neglected to do when I was 'so busy'. But somehow, when I'm on vacation I think it can wait until I'm not on vacation anymore. Where, despite the hours upon hours I've had at home, with no where to go and nothing to do... I have still yet to accomplish anything noteworthy.

Well, maybe I've accomplished one thing that is noteworthy. I've slept. A LOT. I have somehow managed to sleep in somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00 every morning. And, I'll be honest, I think waking up in the 9:00 hour only happened once!

My kids are at this beautiful stage where they play together well, they can get their own breakfast, and they are more than happy to let me sleep in. Well, they're not entirely happy to let me sleep in uninterrupted, but the do let me go back to sleep after they ask me question after question after question. Okay, and at least once this morning Titus tore all of my covers off of me hoping to motivate me to get out of bed.

The worst part is, I feel tired when I get too much sleep. It seems so backward doesn't it? I wish I could go back in time and tell that to myself as a sleep deprived young mom! It's funny how I'll look at my clock and realize that it's way past time to get up, yet somehow I can't drag myself out of bed. And, when I finally do get myself out of bed I feel far more grumpy, cranky and tired than I would be if I'd just have gotten up at a reasonable hour to begin with. Ironic isn't it?

On the one hand I'm ready to go all crazy exercising and organizing (thank you New Year's Resolution expectations), on the other hand I'm wanting to just be plain lazy, and do a whole lot of nothing while I still can. Perhaps there ought to be a balance? I'm sure there is. Maybe I'll try to figure out exactly what that balance is... tomorrow, I'm sure! Have I ever mentioned I'm prone to procrastination? Really, really, really prone to it?

1 comment:

Rebecca.Alburn said...

I'm having this problem with meal planning... I'm so lazy on vacation mode, not really caring what we eat for dinner and less organized than those "so busy" times. And here I was thinking I'd use this extra time to come up with a monthly schedule and really get it all together. Hello New Year... why are you here so soon?