Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Our Love Story—The Next Month


March, 2001

I really felt like I had made a strange connection with Rob in those early weeks. On one hand I felt like we’d become fairly good friends. On the other hand he kept an appropriate distance that helped me (attempt) to keep our friendship in perspective.

Over the next month I looked forward seeing him at church, Ekklessia, during Doves and Eagles events, during our Monday, Wednesday & Friday computer lab “chance” encounters, and occasionally during the lunch hour.

I knew I wasn’t a logical choice for him as a girlfriend. And, he certainly wasn’t giving me any reason to think I stood a chance with him. Yet, for some reason I still found myself wanting to be around him more and more… despite what I was convinced was his lack of interest.

He was like a magnet that pulled me in his direction regardless of the path I’d previously been on. If I was headed to the library when I saw him head toward the cafeteria suddenly I’d find myself incredibly hungry. If I was headed to lunch when I saw him duck into the library suddenly I’d discover that I was no longer hungry but I felt a pressing need to study.

One night our group of friends went roller skating. A small part of me wondered if, and a huge part of my hoped that, Rob would couple skate with me. When the time came for couple skating though, most of the guys, including Rob, sat on a bench. Trying not to let the boys suck the fun right out of the room, my friend Desiree and I skated together. Part way through the song we were pulled apart however. Suddenly I saw Rob and Desiree fly past me as I turned to find that the hand that grabbed mine belonged to J.

Desiree was engaged, so I wasn’t jealous. In fact, of all of the girls Rob could couple skate with that night she was the one I would have chosen for him to skate with (besides me, of course!) because she was decidedly taken already. I was, however, envious!

It was probably best though, that Rob didn’t grab my hand to skate with me. I probably never would have washed my hand again. Or perhaps I would have gone weak in the knees and fallen flat on my face. My hand likely would have gotten disgustingly sweaty or I would have turned beat red from head to toe making it incredibly obvious that I had a mad crush on him—as if he didn’t already suspect it.

Click on the "Our Love Story" tag at the top of the page to see other love story posts, or to start from the beginning.

No comments: