Saturday, May 8, 2010

East Coast Day 5

 

Birdie Alex and Beary Bear have been on some amazing adventures lately! Yesterday they went to Hoboken, NJ. They enjoyed some lovely time by the Hudson River, learning all about the buildings in Manhattan, just across the way. 



They got to see crazy sights like this one. She's walking 8 dogs! I'm pretty sure it costs more for people to have someone else walk their dogs in the city than it would cost for me to have my kids in daycare all day. I know many people love and adore their dogs, but it's just more work than I think I'm up for!


This is SaraJane's dog. She's a sweet dog. But again, dogs aren't my favorite. This one might have a cute face, but she's thrown up in my presence twice now. It's actually what woke me up this morning. Reason # 57 that I don't own a dog!


After our tour of the river, we had lunch with Carmen and Sal, SJ's good friends. It was great to get to know them. Carmen doesn't like having her picture taken if you can't tell!


Then we stopped by Carlo's Bake Shop. You might know him as The Cake Boss. It was crazy busy, and I enjoyed a mini-eclair. 

After that we went to a Cuban coffee shop. We went out for lunch and ended up hanging out until nearly 6:00. In my neck of the woods lunch doesn't usually last 5 hours!

Then after our 'lunch' together we all went our separate ways for a short period of time until we met back up for something called "First Friday's" at SJ's church. The Pastor spoke about pride and how unattractive it is. It was good. It was convicting. That's all I'm gonna say about that for now though. 


After church a huge group of people went to the famous Nutley Diner. It may not be famous to you, but it was a must experience for me because I swear SJ's eating there with friends about every other time I call her!


 We had to split up into three separate areas because the group was so big. It was fun. Good food and good company!

I got to meet a lot of her friends and I learned a lot about her world. I'm glad we were able to make it to this.

The one thing you should know about this group here is that they're all single. That explains why they can do things like stay out til 1:30 in the morning eating sweet potato fries at the local diner!

I was so tired by the time I got back there was no way I could post.

I couldn't help but be taken back to a period of time where everything is a little crazy and a little exciting. Every person in the room is probably taking note as to where someone else is sitting, hoping they might get noticed by, or get some time with someone they're interested in.

Or, at least that's how it was when I was young and single. As a college student, every time Rob was remotely near I was keenly aware of where he was, what he was doing and who he was engaging in conversation with at all times!

Those days were so much fun. 

But, I have to admit. These days are even more fun! I wouldn't trade the joy of marriage and mothering for all the 'single-life' excitement in the world. I am right where God wants me, and I'm loving every minute of it! Aw, don't get me wrong, it was fun to stay up and hang out and get to know new people-- for a night. But 5 days from now I'll be wrapped up tight in the arms of the three most special people in the world. 

As much fun as adventurous traveling, exotic eating, people meeting, site seeing and focusing on 'me' is-- I am anxious to return home. To return to endless hugs, kisses, snuggles, dishes and even (gulp) laundry! 

Because the reality is, that's where I belong. A little time away is a great reminder for me. I'm grateful to get away from the endless piles of laundry long enough to remember that it's a privilege to have so many people to take care of. I can't think of anything I'd rather do. 

When I grow up, I want to be a mommy!

1 comment:

beachbirdie said...

When I grow up, I want to be a mommy!

It is so good to be free to say that! When I was young, in the mid-70's, it was so completely un-cool to admit that was what I wanted.

The feminists had young women whipped into a frenzy of careerism and one would be verbally brutalized for wanting marriage and children! Yet it is the most noble and challenging (and satisfying) of occupations to be rearing the next generation.