Monday, September 13, 2010

As quickly as I wished it away...


(Leeann holding her little brother for the first time)

Everyone tells you this is going to happen. Every droopy eyed, spit-up wearing, unkempt new mommy is imparted this wisdom by those who have gone before her. "They grow up sooo fast. This stage will pass before you know it. It won't take long until you wish they were little again." Maybe this tid-bit of wisdom doesn't get passed down with that precise wording, but it's content is passed on just the same.

Once upon a time I wondered if I'd ever leave the house, have a 5 minute uninterrupted conversation with a friend, have a meal that didn't require the hazmat team to clean up after, have a moment to myself, pee in privacy, go some where without a large bag full of stuff that someone might need, get to take a nap, feel 'normal', or watch my kids do something without having to be right at their side every step of the way.

Suddenly I feel like all of those days have hit all at once and I hate to admit it, but I miss the old days. I miss my clingy, needy, messy kids. As exhausting as young kiddos are, they give a mommy purpose. I was desperately needed to care for them every step of the way. I admit it, I kind of like to be needed!

I know that they still need me, but the truth is, they need me in a different way now. This hit me like a ton of bricks when we were at the pool a few weeks ago. Rob and I took the kids to The Cool Pool and we actually had a fair amount of time where the kids were in the water while we watched from the pool deck.

How did that happen? Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that they were both clinging to us for dear life any time we were around water? Now Leeann is happily playing basketball in the deep end without a life jacket and Titus is taking turn after turn after turn (literally probably 20-30 times) going down the big yellow slide all by himself. He had a life jacket on of course. And I had to bribe him with a dollar provide incentive for him to go on his own the first time. I went down with him 5 or 6 times before I realized he wasn't going to stop going down the slide and I wasn't sure I had another hour + of that in me! I'm not opposed to putting money toward a good cause!



I promise, I am enjoying every minute of this stage. But I'll be honest, I do miss so many things about my babies!

No comments: