Thursday, August 4, 2011

Our Love Story—Meeting His Mom



I was hanging out upstairs with Rob when I heard the distinct voice of a female downstairs. Rob’s mom was home. Carmin spoke loudly from downstairs (undoubtedly wanting to warn us that she had indeed entered the house) and we made our way to the top of the stairs trying to figure out how to reveal this surprise. 

I stood at the top of the stairs nervous as could be. What if she didn’t like me? What if we didn’t get along? What if she hates surprises? What if she doesn’t think this is funny and doesn’t want me to stay there? What if she’s mean? What if she doesn’t approve of the two of us?

I’m normally a very optimistic person, but this whole situation had my stomach in knots.

Janice meandered into the den at the bottom of the stairs and Rob made our way down. I stood outside of the door just around the corner while Rob and Carmin converged on the doorway.

Rob’s mom chatted away with Rob and Carmin for what felt like an eternity as she stood just inside of the door of the den, unable to see me around the corner. I wondered nervously if the two of these guys were just going to leave me hanging forever.

Finally, Janice asked where Rob’s friend was. With a mischievous grin on his face Rob said, “Actually mom, I’d like you to meet my friend… Robyn.” He put his hand around my shoulder and guided me toward the doorway as Rob’s mom stepped out of the den and looked at me in utter shock.

She just stared at me for a second, trying to wrap her mind around the significance of her son bringing home a girl to stay for an entire week. She didn’t know a single thing about me, so I’m sure she was having a difficult time trying to process everything all at once.

Without warning she just walked toward me, with tears welling up in her eyes, threw her arms around me in a great big hug and said, “She’s shorter than I am!”

Then and there all of my fears completely dissipated. I had won over her heart without saying a word simply due to my short stature. Then all of the sudden she got a panicked look on her face. “Oh, I didn’t make up the bed in your room. I’m sorry I didn’t make up the bed. I didn’t realize you were… a girl. If I’d of known that I most certainly would have made up the bed,” she rambled.

I assured her it was plenty all right, but she insisted on going straight up the stairs to make sure my room was comfortable. I think she didn’t want to let this one slip away—it’s not every day Rob comes home with a girlfriend, and Janice lived and breathed grandkids. The only way to assure more grandkids was to get her kids married off. And I was the only prospect she’d met since Rob’s broken engagement a year and a half prior!

It really helped to know that she was just as nervous as I was, though she made it very clear that she was happy to have me in her home. With that introduction out of the way I knew the rest would be easy sailing. Rob wasn’t keeping me a secret from everyone, just his mom, so I was pretty sure she’d let the rest of the family know before the sun went down that Rob actually brought home a GIRL.

Rob and I excused ourselves for a walk until dinner would be ready. We wanted to give Rob’s mom time to make up the room since it was very clear that was important to her. Besides, we wanted to let Janice debrief with Carmin and soak in the relevance of the fact that Rob had brought me home.

I was so glad it was over. And in hindsight, I was really glad he kept me a surprise. Seeing the look on her face was absolutely priceless, and will always be one of my favorite memories of her!


Click on the "Our Love Story" tag at the top of the page to see other love story posts, or to start from the beginning.

4 comments:

abertolini said...

LOVE IT! I hope you still have a wonderful relationship with them!

Anonymous said...

It's one of my favorite stories, I remember getting a phone call and hearing her version (very similar!!) I miss her too. Love you. aunt b

Robyn said...

Amy, Rob's mom passed away two and a half years ago. I had great memories with her... but they didn't last nearly long enough!

Aunt Barb, do you remember any specifics? I'd love to hear her version!

abertolini said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm glad you are such a good story-teller and writer so your kids will have the memories of her, too.