Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Dear Little One-- How I Wonder Who You Are

Dear Little One,

You have no idea how much I think about you! I often wonder about your personality and ponder what you will look like. Will you look more like me, or daddy? Will you be short like your parents, or tall like your uncles? Who's personality will you take after? Will you be an introvert or an extrovert? Will academics come easily for you or will they be a struggle? Will you be outgoing or shy? Will you like sports? Will you be techy like your brother? Will you look out for the needs of others like your sister? Will you be a picky eater? A fitful sleeper? Will you be sensitive to noises, or sights, or sounds? Will you be wild and carefree or cautious and pensive? Mostly, I get caught up wondering how those personality traits are going to manifest themselves in your early days, and what our lives will look like as a result. One way or another, things are about to change around here!


All I know about you now is that you appear to be healthy and growing right on track, you are a boy, and you bounce back and forth doing karate in my womb on a regular basis. Based on your 20 week scan you appear to have a similar profile to Titus, but you can only tell so much from a black and white ultrasound picture.

The rest is yet a mystery. A really, really exciting mystery!

You are somewhere between 12 and 20 ounces this week. If you are born at the same weight your brother was, you will gain 6+ pounds between now and when you're born. The only problem is, I cannot for the life of me fathom where on earth you are going to fit within my womb! I already feel stretched to the brim, maxed out, and terribly uncomfortable. You kick me anytime I bend over as if to say, "Hey mom, stop squishing me!" I am consistently finding myself in awkward situations where I've gotten into a position while sitting or laying down that I cannot get out of, and I am almost constantly short of breath. At this point, it's just kind of comical... but I'm only half way there!

However, you are oh so worth every awkward moment, every ache, and every pain!

I just realized that almost every sentence I've written so far ends with an exclamation point. That's poor writing, I recognize, but it so perfectly captures where my heart is right now. My heart is so full. It's full of hope, full of wonder, full of excitement, and full of awe! I am giddy that every single morning when I wake up and every single night before I go to bed, you make your growing presence in my womb known. Daddy keeps catching me giggling and looking at me inquisitively, to which I regularly respond, "I just feel him moving"! It insights such joy in my heart that every last leap and twist and turn still sends me to cloud nine. I treasure these moments. I treasure you!

Love,

Mommy

p.s. One thing I'm wondering right now is if you are going to be born in the Northwest or the Upper Midwest. Will you be a Beaver or a Badger? An Oregonian or a Wisconsinite? And most importantly, how do you feel about about wearing a block of cheese-shaped foam on your head?

No comments: